You are here

Blaze burns home

February 25, 2013

Washing machine may have caused fire

By KRIS REILLY
Editor

LUCERNE VALLEY • A faulty washing machine apparently caused a fire that burned parts of a house and destroyed a motorhome Sunday afternoon, authorities said.

No one was injured during the blaze, which was reported at about 3 p.m. in the 9000 area of Anza Trail.

A bedroom and a laundry room were engulfed in flames when San Bernardino County Fire Station 8 firefighters arrived at the scene. They saved much of the house, but a bedroom, a laundry room and a nearby motorhome were total losses.

The rest of the house sustained smoke and water damage, according to Station 8 Capt. Ben Van Wyk.

“We had the fire contained within about 15 minutes of being on scene,” Van Wyk said, adding that the fire was extinguished about 30 minutes after that, followed by roughly two hours of “smoldering and mop-up.”

Van Wyk said a county fire investigator determined that the origin of the blaze was a washing machine, but he did not know the specifics of how the machine caught fire.

A total of 13 people responded to the fire: Engine 8, Water Tender 8, county Medic Engine 22 out of Spring Valley Lake, county Medic Engine 96 from Fawnskin, a battalion chief, an investigator and a Cal Fire engine that shared some water to aid in the effort.

Van Wyk said the residents — who were renting the property — were home at the time but were not hurt. He said the American Red Cross had been contacted to help the residents find temporary shelter.