You are here

Shooting suspect could be linked to burglaries

December 26, 2012

Break-ins rise this month, but none reported since arrests

By KRIS REILLY, Editor

LUCERNE VALLEY • Local burglaries have been on the rise this month, and authorities said the suspect in a recent shooting may be connected to at least one of the break-ins.

Sgt. Wendell Anderson of the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department Lucerne Valley Substation said last week that 12 burglaries had been reported in the first two weeks of December. He said there are usually no more than eight reported in an entire month.

With two arrests made and the shooting suspect on the lam, the local sergeant is hopeful that some of the recent activity will die down.

“I’d certainly say it’s a start,” Anderson said. “I’m hoping that getting some of these people in custody might get some of the others looking over their shoulders. We’ll see. We do the best we can with what we have.”

More than half of the dozen burglaries were reported in the foothills of southern Lucerne Valley, just north of Powerline Road between Mesa and Tradepost roads. That’s the area where a deputy found an alleged burglary in progress on the morning of Dec. 12 — which led to two arrests.

A resident of the 7800 area of Mesa Road reported that a female knocked on the door to see if anyone was home at about 7 a.m., then she left when the resident answered the door. Knowing there had been several burglaries in the area, the resident called the authorities.

When Deputy Shane Andersen came to the area, he spotted a pickup truck parked at a nearby residence. A man ran from the truck as soon as he saw the patrol car.

Andersen investigated the truck and found 27-year-old Kimberly Michelle Arnold of Lucerne Valley along with a male juvenile. They claimed to be having car trouble. The deputy entered the residence and found that windows and doors had been forced open and property was stacked up inside the front door.

The truck was backed into the home with the tailgate down, presumably ready for the property to be loaded onto it. Tools allegedly used for the burglary were found inside the truck. Arnold and the juvenile were arrested on suspicion of burglary.

According to Andersen’s report, the man who ran from the truck was believed to be 22-year-old William Lester Boone III.

Later that day, Boone allegedly shot at three people at a residence in the 35000 area of Sage Street.

According to sheriff’s department documents, Boone came to the home at about 6 p.m. on a quad along with 19-year-old Curtis Eugene McCoy. Boone knew one of the residents and wanted to spend the night there, but he was told to leave.

After Boone refused to leave, he was confronted by three residents of the home (two females and a male). One of the females threw a rock at the quad, then Boone allegedly fired three shots in their direction. No one was injured.

Boone left the scene with McCoy and was initially wanted on suspicion of attempted murder. Court records show that the District Attorney has downgraded the charges to two counts of assault with a firearm, one count of shooting at an inhabited dwelling and one count of discharging a firearm with gross negligence. If caught and convicted, Boone faces possible state prison time.

McCoy was found two days later at a Carnelian Road home and was arrested on suspicion of being an accessory to attempted murder and knowingly buying, selling or receiving stolen property.

As of press time on Sunday, records showed that no charges had been filed against McCoy, and Boone had not been apprehended. Boone is described as a white male adult standing 5-foot-10 and weighing 140 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.

Records show no new burglary reports since Dec. 12, the day Arnold and the juvenile were arrested.

Anyone with information about a crime or suspicious activity can call the Lucerne Valley substation at (760) 248-7655.

Tipsters may also call the WeTip Hotline at (800) 78-CRIME or you may leave information on the WeTip Hotline at www.wetip.com.